By the Apostolic Brief dated June 12, 1923 of Pope Pius XI, the
Diocese of Calicut was erected:
by separating from the Diocese of Mangalore that portion of the
Malabar district which till then was under it
by adding on to it the Wayanad Taluk, till then under the Diocese of
likewise adding also the area west of the watershed of the Walluvanad
Taluk, till then under the Diocese of Coimbatore
by a Decree of the S. Cong. de Propaganda Fide dated January 12, 1960,
the Hosdurg Taluk was till then part of the Diocese of Mangalore was
added to the Diocese of Calicut.
The extent, therefore, of the diocese may be described as the whole of
the former Malabar district up to the Ponnani river, part of Palghat
district and the area of the watershed of Walluvanad Taluk, with the
addition of the present Hosdurg Taluk to the north. At the time of
erection it numbered in all, 8000 Catholics, the majority of whom
resided in the three old stations along the shore of the Arabian Sea,
viz, Calicut, Tellicherry and Cannanore. Mainly due to the steady
influx of information from Travancore and Cochin, the total Catholic
population had risen by 1953 to 91,384 of which 17,217 were Latins and
the rest Syrians. On March 19,1954 with the erection of the Diocese of
Tellicherry the faithful of the Oriental Rite passed under the
Jurisdiction of the Ordinary of the Diocese.
For the first 32 years of its existence the Diocese of Calicut had
been entrusted to the Mangalore-Calicut mission of the Society of
Jesus; but with the erection of the independent Vice-Province of
Mangalore on May 29, 1955 the territory of the Diocese of Calicut was
temporarily assigned the Madurai province of the Society of Jesus,
pending the erection of the independent Vice-province of Kerala, which
took place on September 27, 1960. The vice-Province became Kerala
Jesuit Province in the year 1983. With the appointment of Rt. Rev. Dr.
Maxwell V. Noronha as the Bishop of Calicut, who took charge of the
Diocese on September 8, 1980, the administration of the Diocese passed
into the hands of the Diocesan clergy. His Holiness Pope John Paul II
has created the Diocese of Kannur by bifurcating the Diocese of
Calicut on December 09, 1998. The new Diocese consists of revenue
districts of Kannur and Kasaragod. On May 19, 2002 Rt. Rev. Dr. Joseph
Kalathiparambil was appointed as the Vth Bishop by the Holy See.
Calicut - 673 009,
Kerala, Kerala, India.
Tel: +91 495 - 2370313 (O),
Fax: +91 495 - 2372577