The Diocese of Kothamangalam was erected by Pope Pius XII through the
Papal Bull "Qui in Beati Petri Cathedra" of July 29, 1956, and was
inaugurated on January 10, 1957.
of the three foranes of Arakuzha, Kothamangalam and
Mylakomp taken from the Archdiocese of Ernakulam, the Diocese of
Kothamangalam extends over the taluka of Kunnathunadu, Muvattupuzha,
Thodupuzha, Udumpanchola and Devicolam covering an area of 4,800 sq.
kms. At present there are sixteen foranes. It is surrounded by the
Archdiocese of Ernakulam and Madurai and the Dioceses of Kanjirapally,
Palai, Palghat and Coimbatore.
The major part of the Diocese being the hills of the Western Chats
with thousands of recent settlers, the Diocese gives special attention
to the spiritual and temporal needs of these people. Large numbers of
Churches, educational, medical and charitable institutions have been
started. Thus the number of Churches and stations has risen.
P.B. No. 6, Kothamangalam,
Kerala - 686 691, India
Tel: +91 485 - 2862236, 2862692, 2861625 (O),
28 61 555 (P),
Fax: +91 485 - 28 61 625
Area: 4,840 sq. kms.
Total Population: 11,94,318
Languages spoken: Malayalam and Tamil.
Revenue Districts: Ernakulam and Idukki.
Diocesan Clergy: 305
Religious Priests: 83
Religious Brothers: 63
Religious Women: 2,905
No. of Parishes: 226
Houses of Women Religious: 264
Houses of Men Religious: 30
Minor Seminaries: 03
No. of Educational institutions
University / Colleges: 03
Teachers Training Institute: 01
Colleges (Private): 02
Technical Institutions: 05
Engineering College: 01
Sr. Secondary Schools (10+2): 17
High Schools (10th std.): 40